Monday 28 January 2013

Coconut meringue cake

This is one I'd been wanting to try for a little while.  I used:

125g butter
225g white sugar
3 eggs
125g self raising flour
125g dessicated coconut (plus some extra)
80ml milk





I softened the butter, beat in 125g sugar, separated the eggs and beat in the egg yolks.   I added the milk, flour and...a certain amount of coconut.   The recipe I found didn't have any coconut in the cake mix itself, but I wanted some in there too.  








So, that was the cake mix.   For the meringue topping I whipped the egg whites until stiff, and folded in the remaining 100g sugar.   I then added 125g dessicated coconut.   I thought it looked like quite a lot of coconut for so little meringue and I was right.   The meringue went completely flat and I was worried about whether it was going to come out ok.   But I spooned the cake mix into a cake tin, and carefully put the meringue mix on top of it and baked at 180 degrees.  




The cake came out pretty well.   It was very moist and tasty, and the meringue layer held together ok.  







However, I felt I'd like it better if the meringue on top was more of a meringue and less of a thin coconut crust, so I made a second attempt.   This time, I added the whole 125g coconut to the cake mix and just put a handful on coconut into the meringue mix.   I feel the second attempt worked a lot better!   Tasty, moist coconut cake with a light meringue topping.   Delicious!   Sadly, however, I seem to have failed to take a picture of cake number two.   Sad face.   You'll just have to take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment