Monday 17 September 2012

Soda Bread

Yes, I know there have been a lot of food-related posts lately.   This is the last one for a while, promise.   Anyway, inspired by my recent to Northern Ireland I decided to try my hand at soda bread.   I used:

300g wholemeal flour
250ml buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda






I mixed it altogether and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 40 minutes.   Simples!   And also yummy!  

 
                               Ok, it doesn't look that tasty.   The photo doesn't do it justice!


One thing I learned though was to NOT bake it on greaseproof paper.   It stuck and wouldn't come off.   Next time I'll put it straight into the loaf tin.   Recommended warm with butter.   Enjoy!  




3 comments:

  1. This gives me Belfast nostalgia, yum.

    Althought actually soda bread & vegetable broth were basically the only things on offer that I could eat. Northern Ireland is not especially vegetarian friendly, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you always been vegetarian and i've just forgotten, or is this a new thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was veg for a couple of years when I was younger (12-14ish) and went back to it about a year ago.

      Delete