Saturday 15 September 2012

Baclava!

Yes, another food post.   I love baclava.   Love it, love it, love it!   So I decided to try making the gloriously unhealthy stuff for myself.  

After much deliberation I decided not to make the filo pastry myself.  Usually buying things that I can make myself is kind of against my principles, but in this case I decided to just buy it, as making it from scratch just sounded like a right royal pain.   Here's a shot of my ingredients:


 

I started by unwrapping the filo pastry.   Once it's open this stuff dries out really fast so it's important to work fast, or keep it covered with a damp cloth.   I took half the filo pastry sheets, placing them in a baking tray one at a time, and painting the top of each one with melted butter.   Like so:





Ouch!  My colesterol levels are shooting up just looking at this!   I then added a layer of the chopped nuts mixed with a couple of spoons of sugar, and spices to taste.   Then I added the remaining filo pastry sheets, painted with copius amounts of butter.   That done, I took a sharp knife and cut it up ino bite size pieces.   Next the whole lot went into the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.    I then turned the oven down to 150 degrees and baked for a further 40 minutes.   While it was cooking I made the sugar syrup to pour over the top.   I used 350g sugar, water and a little lemon juice, over a low heat.   When the baclava came out of the oven I poured the syrup over the top and left it overnight to soak in.   Yum yum!









I will definitely be making this again!   But I will be doing things a bit differently.   I really used too many sheets of pastry.   The top couple didn't really to the rest particularly well.   Next time I will only use about 10 sheets per level.   I also want to try making the syrup with honey instead of sugar.   Much more tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment