Thursday 29 March 2012

Fringe Chaos

Every August the chaos that is the Fringe comes to Edinburgh.   Hundreds of acts descend upon the city and clog up the Royal Mile, annoying residents, but delighting photographers.   The main challenge with getting good snaps is battling your way through the crowd and finding an angle that isn't blocked by the heads of a dozen tourists.   A little rudeness pays off in these situations.   Nothing extreme of course, but it's surprising how often you'll be forgiven for pushing your way to the front and blocking someone else's view if you're carrying a big camera.   A few of my favorite Fringe snaps:



 nice wide aperture blurs the background so that the passing tourists are less distracting





The most important thing I learned from photographing the Fringe this year was to not just go to the Royal Mile once and assume I'd captured the Fringe.   Who's there and what they're doing changes every day, so go often and you never know what you might find!

2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, I love the girl with the bob. When I went up for a show last summer it was so much fun, made me wish I had a good camera instead of just carting round disposables like the little throwback I am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah, the girl with the bob was there most days. she was gorgeous to photograph. :)

      Delete