Saturday 28 February 2015

Show Reviews: Rigoletto

As far as I'm concerned, the best way to see opera is outdoors, in the Roman arena in Verona.  As well as being guarantied a great show, it's also a really lovely atmosphere.   Imagine a warm Italian summer night, a magnificent stage, and you sitting on the ancient fossil-strewn stone steps, still warm from the sun.   People are drinking beer, eating sandwiches and relaxing.   My friend said he wasn't sure if he was at an opera or a football match.   The stage might be far away, but everthing is Big, so there's plenty to look at, a huge cast, magnificent costumes....   We saw Rigoletto, which was one I hadn't seen before.   It was very enjoybale, and of course has the very famous La Donna e Mobile, which everyone will recognise when they hear it.  


 Stage of Rigoletto

This one is actually Aida, but I think it shows what I'm trying to get across



No comments:

Post a Comment