Tuesday 19 March 2013

Gigs

Time to review some of the gigs I've been to recently.   First, Bowling for Soup.   I saw them back in the Autumn at the O2 ABC in Glasgow.   I like the ABC as a venue.   It's convenient to get to, and a good size.   Not too big.   I decided I had better things to do than stand around all evening, so I skipped the opening acts and turned up for nine, just to see Bowling for Soup.   I hadn't seen them for several years, and the boys were on form, as usual.   They played all their old favorites, along with some of their new stuff, and some songs they don't usually play, like Life After Lisa.   Their perfomances haven't lost any of their energy, and the boys till seemed to be loving every second of it.   Despite all of the show's good points, I'm wondering if I'm outgrowing them a bit.   I did love the songs, but a lot of their in-between songs banter does now seem to very immature and a bit annoying.  Still, despite a bit of growing up on my part, they're still well worth seeing!









Next, Nerina Pallot.   I saw her in Pleasance Theatre on Valentine's Day.   This was my second time seeing her, and once again I loved her!   I loved her wacky clothes, her great performance and her hilarious banter.   Her opening act, Carrie Mac, was very good as well.   I definitely don't really like Pleasance Theatre as a gig venue though.   The audience was definitely more subdued than they otherwise would have been if they'd been standing.   I think it was only Nerina's talent at putting an audience at ease that made it an enjoyable show.   And I do think it's lovely the way she takes the time at the end of her shows to meet fans.  







     




And finally, Amy MacDonald.   I saw her, for the first time, in the Picturehouse at the beginning of the month.   The Picturehouse is another gig venue I really like.   Again, it's not too big.   I always like it when people come to Edinburgh, instead of us having to go to Glasgow, but I can understand why they miss us out.   Most Edinburgh gigs seem to be full of weegies!   Anyway, Amy's performance was excellent.   I love her songs so much.   She also had a much bigger band with her than I'd expected.   I think it could have been improved with some female backing vocals though.   The male ones just didn't sound as good.   And despite her being great during the songs, I didn't really like a lot of her chat.   She did a fair bit of moaning, complaining about the small backstage area, and being away from home so much.   We don't want to hear that, Amy!   The lighting was awesome though!   Really big and bold and colourful.   Her opening act, Ben Montague was very good too.   I'll definitely be looking his stuff up! 



No comments:

Post a Comment