Friday 14 November 2014

Book Reviews: The Bride's Farewell

I have to say I find Meg Rosoff a bit hit and miss.   I loved How I Live Now, hated Justin Case, quite liked What I Was and didn't think much of There is No Dog.   This one falls firmly into the Loved It category.   It seems to be a more grown-up novel than the aforementioned others.   The pace is slower, the writing less frenetic, but it still has the Meg Rosoff twists and turns and rambling adventure in which the characters are buffeted to and fro by Life.   It's about a young woman called Pell who runs away from home on the night before her wedding.   Her little brother follows her, and it looks like the two are setting off on a glorious adventure together.   But then her brother is kidnapped, and her horse is stolen.   Pell begins a meandering, often disastrous journey to get her brother and horse back.   It's a totally unpredictable book.   I'm usually a slow reader, but I got through this in a day.   Well worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment