Wednesday 21 May 2014

Film Reviews: The Great Gatsby

Despite what the critics say I really like this film.   I love the colour, I love the over-the-top splendour, hell, I even love Tobey Maguire!   People complain that the film has lost all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's subtlety and poetry and that he's killed the spirit of the book.   But I think that books are open to interpretation and I like this one.   It wouldn't be a Baz Luhrman film if it wasn't a big and bold, dazzling, colourful, loud spectacular.   I think it's possibly even more so that Moulin Rouge.   It's about Gatsby, a wealthy but enigmatic man trying to win back Daisy, the wife of wealthy but nasty Tom Buchanan, in 1920s New York.   It doesn't end well for anyone.   It's told through the eyes of Nick Carraway, Daisy's cousin.   As I said, I love Tobey Maguire as Nick, and usually I don't have a lot of time for him.   I think Tom Buchanan and Jordan Baker (Daisy's friend) were perfect as well.   Exactly how I imagined them.   Contrary to the rest of the world though, I'm actually not that keen on Leonardo diCaprio as Gatsby.   Can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like...   One thing I would say though is that the story is a bit tricky to follow, but well, I suppose it was in the book as well.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment