Monday 28 April 2014

Fossils: Trilobite and ammonite

Seeing as how I'm a massive nerd, I love fossils.   They're awesome!   Here are some cool recent fossil purchases.   This little guy is a trilobite.   Trilobites are sadly extinct, but were very succesful in their day.   They were marine arthropods, and one of the awesome things about trilobites is that their eyes had CRYSTAL LENSES!  Yes, crystal!   The lenses of their eyes were crystal prisms, not at all like the round squishy lenses we've got.   Nature is amazing.   Evolution is amazing.   And I love my trilobite fossil.   It's so well preserved and perfect!






And this is my ammonite.   They're another pretty common type of fossil.   Here's what I know about ammonites:   They were an octopus and squid relative, and looked a bit like a modern day nautilus.   They lived in the outermost compartment of their shell, and as they grew they added on an extra compartment and moved next door, with their head and tentacles protruding.   The smaller vacated chambers were then used to help control buoyancy.   They were free-swimming animals.   I love my ammonite fossil because it's so pretty.   The inside is full of nice crystals and the outside has a lovely pearly sheen.   No wonder so many people use them as mantlepiece decorations.




No comments:

Post a Comment