Saturday 7 April 2012

Homemade Hummus

This is something I'd been wanting to make for a while.   Up til now I'd always got as far as cooking the chick-peas, adding the other ingredients...and eating them.   Back in the mists of time before I had a blender I think I once try mashing them with a fork.   It didn't really work.   SO for my hummus you will need...a certain amount of dried chick peas, soaked overnight, good quality olive oil, lemon juice, plenty of garlic, sesame oil, salt, pepper and a bit of water.   Yes, I know you're meant to use tahini, but what would I ever use it for again.   So I substituted sesame oil in there instead and it seemed to do the job.  :)  

                                                              soaked chick peas


a lime sneaked in there as well as it was left over from the weekend's cooking project.  


Boil the chick peas for...a certain amount of time until they're done.   Add some olive oil and lemon (plus lime) juice and blend.   The blending process wasn't as easy as I'd thought it would be.   I had to add some water to the mixture to help it along, but I got there.   Add all the other ingredients to taste.   Serve with lots of crunchy veg.   Delicious! 




The amount of chick peas I used made a whole cereal bowl full up the top of hummus, so I put half of it in the freezer.  It seems to freeze and thaw very well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment