Saturday 16 June 2018

Gig Reviews: Christine Bovill

Ok, I'll admit that when a friend invited me to this I wasn't quite sure what I was going to, but I have to say it was a really outstanding concert, and that Christine Bovill has got herself a new fan. She's a Glaswegian lady who sings French songs, from the 20s, through to the 50s, and she's especially a fan of Edith Piaf. Now I don't know many French songs, but I did recognise quite a few of the melodies from their English translations, for example I had no idea that My Way started life as a French song about a marriage that's gone stale. Anyway, Christine is a great singer, and an even better storyteller! The way she introduced each song was amazing, and I really felt transported back to Paris in the first half of the 20th century. And the way she interacted with the audience and set the mood was wonderful. Go see her if you get the chance! If you're not a fan of Chanson Francaise, you will be!




No comments:

Post a Comment