Monday 21 May 2018

Book Reviews: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stane

As previously mentioned, I'm a masive fan of Harry Potter. This is the Scots translation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I really enjoyed reading this! It went a little slowly at first as I was getting used to the new language patterns, but I soon sped up. I read the entire thing in a Scottish accent in my head. It was really interesting reading something so familiar in a different style, and really interesting seeing a style of speaking in print that I'd only heard spoken before. In my head it sounded just liked several ex colleagues! And my Scots came on leaps and bounds! I learned lots of new Scots word. A cat is a bawdrins, a toad is a puddock and an owl is a hoolet. I thought the translators did a really good job with it, being true to the original, while making something new at the same time.




No comments:

Post a Comment